Old 09-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Gregory Young

Default Soil for Water Lillies

I use pea gravel for all my aquatics. They do great, and the Koi aren't
attracted to them, like they are pots with clay/dirt, that they will root
around in.
The result is plants and Koi co-exist just fine.
And yes, the plants bloom and fare as well, as when they were in soil!
Happy ponding,
Greg

--

"jammer" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 18:32:15 -0700, "stricks760"
wrote:

I'm putting in the liner and rocks next weekend (yeeha! after all summer

of
digging and building the waterfalls). Plants will go in as soon as the
water settles [I still have a few growing months left, zone 10].

My local pond store said to put Lillies in half potting soil, half cat
litter. They guy wants to sell me a little bag of 'special' pond soil

for
about 15 bucks.

Can I get something at Home Depot or Lowes that I can mix with cat litter
and get same results? Soil from elsewhere in my yard won't work, it's

sand
with just about zero organic matter.

Thanks!

He may have meant soil on the bottom and cat litter on top to hold the
dirt down. That is what i pretty much do..