Old 09-09-2003, 02:06 AM
V_coerulea

Default bulbophyllum medusa opening

Spikes and new growth are not the same in looks (I'm not sure about their
potentiality but I'd bet they're determined from the start). Spikes start a
little higher on the bulb and grow upward while new growth grows out
horizontally a ways before sending up leafy new growth. I grow mine in
cattleya light in a well drained mix in a wooden basket lightly lined with
sphagnum to hold in the mix. Flowers every year and outgrows an 8" basket
every 2-3 years.
Gary

"look for wings" wrote in message
in article , Dewitt at
wrote on 9/6/03 10:24 PM:

It's not the easiest plant to bloom. Mine still hasn't. . .

I forgot to fertilize it one week-- or maybe it was this sudden cold rain

we
had one day--

I have a question... when a plant is triggered in to spike-- what is the
main sign-- on medusa orchids the spike look *just* like new psudo-bulbs.

Is
it that a potential new pseudo bulb just turns in to a spike-- or is it a
spike from the moment it starts?

-Susan

--

"How many weeks are in a day?
How many years are in a month?" -Pablo Neruda

http://futurebird.diaryland.com