Old 09-09-2003, 02:14 AM
V_coerulea

Default Orchids in Alaska??

There is a grower in Alaska who advertises on Ebay selling Masdevallia etc
that she grows on her back patio during the "summer" (which would grow on my
patio during the winter). I was a little surprised. Her pictures were great
and shipping under 1 Lb USPS Priority was the same as for anywhere else in
the US. Actually her charges were lower than many others in the continental
US. You obviously can do what you want if you really want to.

"Tracey" wrote in message
Here's a question for any of you who might know. My
husband recently spent a few days in Alaska and men-
tioned that he didn't see any orchids anywhere. We've
been discussing the reasons for different things he
noticed (a more 'weathered' appearance of buildings
and roads, lots more rusted out vehicles, not many
buildings over 3 or 4 floors, etc.,) and I got to
thinking about the special problems someone would have
with trying to grow orchids in Alaska. A few would
be:

1. How to get them up there? At least, any quantity
of them. One or two you could carry on the plane with
you, but as far as shipping a large batch of them,
it would be logistically a nightmare, wouldn't it?

2. How to maintain them once they're there. Keeping
a outdoor greenhouse going (at least of the wood
frame/plastic type) that would do the job would also
be a nightmare, right? And the long winters would
require lots of augmentation of light and heat.

I said a few, but I can only think of a couple right
now. Anyone know anyone who raises orchids in Alaska?

Tracey