Old 09-09-2003, 02:22 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Default Help with Compost Tea

On 8 Sep 2003 13:04:30 -0700, (Jay Chan) wrote:

I have been making some compost tea using an aquarium pump. I have
found that I need to turn the air volume to at least in the middle
level of my aquarium pump in order to get the sweet earthly smell from
the compost tea. If I turn the air volume down to the lowest level
(was trying to save electricity), I will have stinky stuff (I will not
call it compost tea when it smells).

The aquarium pump that I have is the model 9200 (or 9500???) that I
bought from PETCO. It has two air outlets. I find that it is probably
overkill for the 5-gal container that I am using. With one outlet
plugged, and running air volume at mid level, I still can get compost
tea that has sweet earthly smell. I should have bought one model down
that has only one air outlet (and run it at mid level of air volume).

Of course, someone may say that turning the air volume all the way to
the highest level may be even better. I have no idea if that is true
or not. I just want to keep the air volume to be just good enough
without using additional electricity or generating more noise.

I have been pouring compost tea to a small area of my lawn for a
month. So far, I don't see any difference between the area with
compost tea, and the area with plain water. I hope you have a better
luck.

Jay Chan

Jay it's really not a matter of luck!

What are you using for compost and what additioves in your recipe?
Perhaps you are making dark colored water and not ACT?