Old 09-09-2003, 04:35 AM
Babberney

Default tree stump removal

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 18:35:20 GMT, "DScott"
wrote:

We've got several trees in our neighborhood that seem to perpetually seed
our back yard. We always have little saplings starting up all over the
place. I've recently had a bunch of the larger ones cut down and hauled
away. Now, how do I keep them from re-sprouting from the stumps. I know that
diesel fuel suffocates them, but I'm looking for something that is effective
and more environmentally friendly. Help!
Dianne in Austin

You can have them ground below grade (or rent a stump grinder).
That's pretty effective, though sometimes you will see sprouts at the
edges of the grinding site (from the ends of roots). Hackberry trees
are particularly persistent.

I'm not big on chemicals (and I don't want to debate pros and cons of
roundup) but, as a free individual, you may decide to apply
brush-b-gone or similar product to the first sprouts in hope s that
you'll get no more. For future reference, I've also heard that
ronund-up applied directly to the stump immediately after cutting will
do the trick.

good luck,

keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.