Old 09-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Stake or no stake tomato

DigitalVinyl said:

I had both and I really prefer the cage to a stake. tying them
appropriately requires more than a stake..a stake with nails studding
its length would work better. I and my neighbor both found the wieght
of tomatoes to eventually slide down collapsing some on the ground and
other plants

I've never had this happen. I use plastic-coated metal stakes (which have
a slightly knobby texture) and stretchy plastic ties (which can be placed snug,
but still have enough give to allow the stems to grow).

Driving large tacks into a wooden stem (the kind used on furniture) might cut
the chance of the plants telescoping down the stake.

By staking, I can grow more varieties of tomatoes in one bed than I could using
cages.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)