Old 09-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Phisherman

Default Snakes in the Garden

We have occasional black (rat) snakes. These snakes are big--up to 6
feet long. One wound around a dieffenbachia to the top. These snakes
eat copperheads, rats, moles. and other pests. I've seen 3 copperhead
snakes on my property in 12 years, but many more black widow spiders
which are more dangerous. Learn to identify snakes, most are very
beneficial. Watch where you put your hands and where you step and you
will propbably never have a worry. They don't want to be in your
house, but you can help by keeping the doors closed and tight. Many
folks have a natural fear of snakes; something I never understood. I
have found snake eggs in the compost pile--I guess the heat attracts
them. There's a product with sulphur that supposedly deters snakes
but I havn't tried it.

We had a skink living in the garage one year that sunned himself every
afternoon. Gave him fresh water everyday in a small dish. His job
was eating all the roaches and spiders in the garage. One day he just
disappeared. One of my neighbors kills them.

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 08:28:37 GMT, "Shell91"
wrote:

What do you do about snakes in the garden? Especially when they could be
one of 4 poisonous kind and at least 1 protected kind?

My problem is the babies get into the house. I'm not sure how they do it
but they show up inside, usually far from any door or window. I also get
geckos and anoles inside but they don't bother me near as much.

Now I know some will say the usual about them being more afraid of you that
you are of them. Ordinarily I would not care and would just leave them
alone but I have a small dog and a handicapped and ill mother to be
concerned about. We do see moccaisins and copperheads. Never seen a coral
or a rattle snake though. And yes we do have a ditch behind the back fence
which has a creek (sort of) and it's a flood control area so they stir up
both snakes and rats when they clear it out.

I need advice on discouraging them from coming into the yard at all.

Thanks

Shell