Old 09-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Jim W

Default Is this Bleeding Heart?

Martin Sykes wrote:

My mother-in-law gave me this plant which she called 'Bleeding Heart'. I
know bleeding heart is Dicentra and this isn't it. I thought she may have
got it mixed up with Amaranthus (Love-lies-bleeding) but now it has flowers
I can see that's not it either. Can anyone identify this from the flowers:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~sy...edingHeart.jpg

It's about 4-5ft tall at the moment and the flowers hang about 4-5 inches.
They start off as a small cluster of 4 flowers and as they die off, a new
set of 4 flowers emerges from the centre and so on. They've also started
producing more flowers from the base of the chain.

Thanks,

Martin

Yes its Leycestria formosa, the Pheasant Berry or Himalyan Honeysuckle.
Used as game cover for pheasants hence the name. The flowers with be
followed by berries.

See http://www.joycreek.com/104-001D4.htm for another piccy and brief
description.
//