Old 09-09-2003, 02:02 PM

Default tree stump removal

Cut it off to 30" & attach a small table top or seat, etc.
and plant something around the base. It's easier
to hide them:-)

Gene

"animaux" wrote in message
I don't like glyphosate, it scares me. That's what's in Round Up. Since

it
only works through foliage, I don't know how well it would do for the

stump.
Hackberry trees are such an incredible pain in the ass. We have one, but

it's
very large and shades the west side of the house. It is a very prolific

tree,
to say the least.

Drilling the holes is a good thing to try if you have the patience.

Instead of
sugar, I would say for this one time only to use a synthetic bag of the

cheapest
and highest nitrogen fertilizer they sell. Probably Walmart brand, the

higher
the first number in the ratio, the better.

Drill as large holes as you can. Then put the fertilizer packed into the

holes,
cover the stumps with clear heavy plastic and occasionally water it and

add more
of the nitrogen fertilizer. Eventually, the stump will die out.

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 04:16:58 GMT, "DScott"

opined:

They vary in size from 2" diameter to about 4' diameter. jfrost sent me a
link to the dirtdoctor.com. The site recommends either drilling & filling
holes in the stumps with sweets (sugar, molaasses, jams, buttermilk, etc)

&
covering with a wet mulch, or using a stump grinder. I'll probably take a
mixed approach, dependent on the size of the stump. If you've got another
idea, I'd still like to hear it.
Dianne in Austin