Old 09-09-2003, 03:02 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Stake or no stake tomato

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

DigitalVinyl said:

I had both and I really prefer the cage to a stake. tying them
appropriately requires more than a stake..a stake with nails studding
its length would work better. I and my neighbor both found the wieght
of tomatoes to eventually slide down collapsing some on the ground and
other plants

I've never had this happen. I use plastic-coated metal stakes (which have
a slightly knobby texture) and stretchy plastic ties (which can be placed snug,
but still have enough give to allow the stems to grow).

Sounds like the same stakes I used (purchased at home depot). The main
stem grew very thick and pretty much supported itself for the first
few feet. It was the top and secondary vines that kept sliding. Maybe
with a different tie. Once they do slide I don't like to touch them
because I can seem the sharp bends in them and don't want to do
further damage.

Driving large tacks into a wooden stem (the kind used on furniture) might cut
the chance of the plants telescoping down the stake.

By staking, I can grow more varieties of tomatoes in one bed than I could using
cages.

I can see that--you manage quantity for variety. I might be curious
about different varieties, but I have limited space so a few is all I
can do. Next year I'm thinking a early cherry in a hanging basket
would be a good addition.

If I had properly pinched out all suckers stakes wouldn't have
mattered since the plant would have grown beyond six feet tall. One
plant had a 6' main stem and two 5' offshoots. I can't help but think
that pinching out further would have reduced my yield.

I grew these two in a 1.5'x 3' corner area, however one vine branched
out and took up an additional square foot. Until it fell a flower bed
was growing at the base of the second stake so the land had a use
besides the tomatoes.

I think two cages in that corner and just let them grow wild would be
easier.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener