Old 09-09-2003, 03:42 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Stake or no stake tomato

Pat Meadows wrote:

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 13:50:15 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

I can see that--you manage quantity for variety. I might be curious
about different varieties, but I have limited space so a few is all I
can do. Next year I'm thinking a early cherry in a hanging basket
would be a good addition.

Unless you get a miniature tomato (Yellow Canary is an
indeterminate miniature), I think you would need an
absolutely huge hanging basket and very strong support.
Beyond what's practical, really.

Most cherry tomato plants are immense: we've got two in our
garden now that are about six feet high and about six feet
in diameter.

Small tomatoes does not equal small plant.

I've seen lots of talk of hanging cherry tomatoes. And think about it.
If I grow a tomato plant in a 10" round, 6" deep pot, I'm not going to
get a 6' x 6' plant. Sort of self limiting. I can also keep it pruned
some if it seems unruly. I think there may even be varieties
specifically for baskets.

My mom once put regular beefsteak tomato seeds in the corner of her
flower box. They grew about three feet high and ended up with several
cherry-sized tomatoes. The small 8" cube area of dirt stunted them,
but she got tomatoes.

I think two cages in that corner and just let them grow wild would be
easier.

I've always caged tomatoes because I think it's easier. But
once we get the hoophouse, I'll be more interested in
conserving space - so at least the tomatoes grown in the
hoophouse will be pruned and trellised in some manner.

Pat

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener