Old 09-09-2003, 05:42 PM
paghat

Default Quality of Top Soil That is Sold in Bulk

In article ,
(Jay Chan) wrote:

Unfortunately there are no laws or industry guidelines governing what can
and cannot be sold as 'topsoil'. The stuff you buy in 3 foot cubic bags is
of a much higher organic content (usually) than the bulk stuff.

Actually, there are industry guidelines from a bark, soil, and compost
vendor association, but being guidelines only, with no backing in law,
they have no enforcement value.

Seem like this is a case of "I got what I paid for". OK, next time, I
will buy in bags instead of in bulk, and I do this for the following
reasons:

- At least I know what I am getting.

- The price difference is small when I factor into my sweat and
effort in using this stuff (that costed me one weekend to apply those
fill-dirt on my lawn).

I always prefer to use composts instead of top soil anyway. I was
forced to use top soil because I could not find anyone that can sell
composts in bulk locally. If I will have to get top soil in bags, I
may as well get composts instead.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"