Old 09-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Jay Chan

Default Quality of Top Soil That is Sold in Bulk

Did sound like filldirt, but unless from some contaminated source, it can
be rendered as good as any quality topsoil by mixing into it a shitload of
manure. A shitload of rabbit raisens might not even need to be composted
first.

After I have spent the last weekend in spreading the so-called top
soil on my lawn, I am too tired to think of spending another weekend
spreading manure. I think I will leave the grass clipping on the lawn
when I mow to add organic matters into the soil. Next year in spring
when I need to mow the lawn very short anyway (cool season grass), I
will consider spreading compost over my lawn.

If the field sample is loamy topsoil & the delivered stuff is powdery
dirt, the real problem is selling for a quality price something that has
little or no organic component. It's a rip-off by thieves even though it
can easily be fixed with compost & labor. If it's worth the time & effort
for a bit of justice, I'd go get a sample of the vendor's "quality top
soil" as displayed for sale, & take that along with a bucket of the
powdery dirt actually delivered & get an expert opinon on both from a
horticultural extension. If what was purchased vs what was delivered are
notably different, then armed with expert opinion, demand of the vendor a
FREE load of good compost sufficient to turn that ordinary cheap filldirt
into the top soil actually paid for. If they refuse, then it's off to
small claims court for a FULL refund with which to purchase the required
compost from someone else.

This will not work for me. The nursey has all the bases covered: When
I went to order top soil from the nursey, they had both black-rich top
soil and the "so called" top soil sitting next to each other. The
salesman verbally assures me that they will delivery the good kind to
me, and he wrote down "DARK!" in the invoice. Of course, "dark"
doesn't mean anything, and verbal assurance means even less. Because
they also had the "so called" top soil also in display, I cannot say
that they are bait-and-switch. The problem is that I cannot tell the
difference between the black rich top soil and the "so called" top
soil if they are not placed side-by-side, and that was what had fooled
me.

Next time I will buy in bags even if they cost more.

Jay Chan