Old 09-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Jay Chan

Default Use Landscape Rake to Spread Compost/Top Soil

Thanks for the info that people has offered to me here regarding the
use of landscape rake to spread top soil.

I bought a landscape rake to spread top soil in last weekend. I used
the flat side to push the top soil around. I used the teeth side to
remove large objects. And I also find that I can use the teeth side to
spread top soil. Seem like this goes through the following steps:

- Use the flat side to spread top soil. But this initial step
doesn't spread the top soil very thin. The rake can simply ride on top
of a thick layer of top soil. We need the other steps to fix this
problem.

- Use the teeth side to make sure the top soil is not too thick in
any one spot; this also helps spreading the top soil even farther away
from where I dump the top soil. I also use it to remove large objects
from the top soil.

- Finally, use the flat side and pull it one more time to level the
soil and to make sure that the top soil is thin. Honestly, I only did
this last step in the beginning. Approaching the end of the day, I was
too tired, and I skipped this step. I don't see any problem of
skipping this step.

I don't see how I can spread the top soil without using the landscape
rake. My other rake is just too small; I would have taken much longer
to finish. Now, if I can find a machine to do that...

Thanks again.

Jay Chan