Old 09-09-2003, 07:22 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Default sweet peas from seed

juliepacker wrote:
: Hi
:
: I am a bit of a garden newbie, so could do with some advise. Have
: decided to atempt to grow sweet peas from seed. A friend told me to
: seed now and winter the plants outside. So, I bought seeds and sowed
: into a heated propagator in seed compost. That was a week ago, and as
: far as I can tell the seeds are just sitting there. My question is am
: I being impatient or is there a problem?
:
: thank you for any advise.....Julie. Isle of Wight UK

You mustn't use any heat. It's a bit early now especially where you are. I
would say wait until October at the earliest, sow them in pots and leave
them outside. They will take weeks to germinate and need only be taken in,
in the very hardest frosts or during high winds. The golden rule is that you
don't molly coddle sweet peas, they don't like it

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk