Old 09-09-2003, 11:58 PM
Nic O'Demus

Default Wasp nest between watercourse and public right of way. What to do?

"anton" wrote in message

Nic O'Demus wrote in message ...
Last Sunday evening I was topping the grass in a meadow that we, my

family
and I, use to walk our dogs. In the process I disturbed a wasp nest and

was
stung on the head. I decided that enough was enough for that day. 15

minutes
to get back, put tractor/topper away, and walk home. By this time, my

wife
says, I was doing a good impression of the Elephant Man.
This evening I found the wasp nest. About 5M to the E is a watercourse

and
about 5M to the W is a public right of way. The wasp nest is on my land

and
I would like to be rid of the wasps and their nest.
What do I do, and what do I do if a member of the public is stung and

makes
a complaint ? I could perhaps put a sign up telling the public of the
imminent danger of being stung, but I don't think that would help.

Perhaps
put a sign up to tell the wasps, that might work just as well! Telephone

the
council to advise them of the problem and ask their advice- If it is on

your
land, you are liable.......etc.......etc. Wait a while until the wasps
either die off or move to another colony; I dont have any great problem

with
that but my family, the roaming public and our dogs may have some

objection,
so this option does present me with a problem.
What to do? Any sensible advice would be gratefully received.

Half a cup full of petrol. Setting light to it, though fun, is not
necessary.

--
Anton

Thanks for that Anton,
I've considered this but
the nest is very close to a watercourse and no chemicals have been used
on this patch for over 20 years.
Time to look out the old cauldron and make an autumn fire perhaps.
Good luck.
Nic