Old 10-09-2003, 12:24 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default Stake or no stake tomato

(Frank Miles) wrote:

I've _always_ staked, and never had this sliding problem. Maybe it's my
choice of stake -- I rip 2x4's into 2x2's, and there's plenty of roughness.
Just tie around the stake before tying the plants. Only problem is when
plants get 6' tall and up, and loaded with tomatoes, they can really stress
the stake. Sometimes I've had to guy the stakes to relieve the stress.
Using other materials could cause sliding difficulties if they have slick
exteriors.

I've tried cages but (personally) don't like them as much -- they take up
lots more room both in the garden and storing over the winter. Gardening

The cages I used are stackable, square, metal and fold flat for easy
storage. They were more expensive, but I think they will be a good
investment for the future.
in the city is always a space-challenge, even when you devote nearly all of
your non-house property to the garden.

-frank

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener