Old 10-09-2003, 04:48 AM
levittd

Default Chlorophytum sp.

I know Chlorophytum (spider plants) are squarely terrestrial, but a friend
who ran a hydroponics shop said that they will grow underwater just fine. So
I set up a small tank (10 gal, no fish, no CO2, not even a filter, one
compact flourescent) and placed several "babies" in it, planted in sand. A
week later the plants look as healthy as ever, with lots of new root growth.
Question is, will this continue, or will they eventually just die? Would it
be safe to put them in with some fish? I'm asking because even half-decent
aquatic plants are virtually impossible to buy here (Comox Valley BC,
Canada), so if I can make this work I'll be all happy and whatnot.
levittd