Old 10-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Malcolm

Default Wasp nest between watercourse and public right of way. What to do?

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 23:36:09 +0100, "Nic O'Demus"
wrote:

"anton" wrote in message

Nic O'Demus wrote in message ...
Last Sunday evening I was topping the grass in a meadow that we, my

family
and I, use to walk our dogs. In the process I disturbed a wasp nest and

was
stung on the head. I decided that enough was enough for that day. 15

minutes
to get back, put tractor/topper away, and walk home. By this time, my

wife
says, I was doing a good impression of the Elephant Man.
This evening I found the wasp nest. About 5M to the E is a watercourse

and
about 5M to the W is a public right of way. The wasp nest is on my land

and
I would like to be rid of the wasps and their nest.
What do I do, and what do I do if a member of the public is stung and

makes
a complaint ? I could perhaps put a sign up telling the public of the
imminent danger of being stung, but I don't think that would help.

Perhaps
put a sign up to tell the wasps, that might work just as well! Telephone

the
council to advise them of the problem and ask their advice- If it is on

your
land, you are liable.......etc.......etc. Wait a while until the wasps
either die off or move to another colony; I dont have any great problem

with
that but my family, the roaming public and our dogs may have some

objection,
so this option does present me with a problem.
What to do? Any sensible advice would be gratefully received.

Half a cup full of petrol. Setting light to it, though fun, is not
necessary.

--
Anton

Thanks for that Anton,
I've considered this but
the nest is very close to a watercourse and no chemicals have been used
on this patch for over 20 years.
Time to look out the old cauldron and make an autumn fire perhaps.
Good luck.
Nic

Prick. Lets hope it doesn't spread to your house by some strange quirk
of fate!