Old 10-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Blarneytoad

Default Weird Algae Help

On 9 Sep 2003 19:29:55 -0700, (Connor
Maltsberger) wrote:

I recently have had this weird sort of algae growing on the leaves of
many of my plants in my 30g planted tank. As far as I can tell from
internet resources it is 'staghorn' algae, which i have never heard of
- appearently none of the LFS people have heard of it either. its
kind of thread-like and branches out like antlers at different points.
Anyhow, it seems to be taking over many of my plants and I am unsure
of how to combat it. I was sold some 'headstand' tetras by one LFS
who swore to me they would eat the damn stuff, but so far i have not
seen a noticeable difference... Should I stop supplying nutrients or
fertilizers to my plants??? what should i do? Any advice would be
greatly appreciated...

Connor

I had this in my tank more than a few years ago-so long ago that I'm
not sure what of the many things I tried was responsible for getting
rid of it. I do remember removing lots of it by hand.I would do a
water change,check water quality and nitrate,phosphate levels make
sure you are not overdosing trace and nutrients and increase your CO2.
Are your other plants growing well? Maybe it is a lack of nitrate or
phosphate instead of too much. First test levels before you take any
action and keep removing it by hand regardless of the course you take.
Good luck