Old 10-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Franz Heymann

Default advice on a small tree or shrub

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Mac at wrote on
9/9/03 3:40 pm:

i am in the middle of finishig my garden to the front and want to put in
shrub or small tree as the centre piece. am looking for something with a

max
height of @5ft and 3/4ft spread. would prefer something bright and

cheerful.
any suggestions.

also thought of dwarf lilac which i believe flowers twice a year.

thanks in advance.

mac

You can train a Cotoneaster as a standard with a weeping habit. It's very
attractive. You can do the same with a Wisteria - unusual and eye

catching,
too.

Some questions about a standard Wisteria:
Must I buy a pretrained standard, or can I just buy a small Wisteria and
train it with a single stem?
Are such specimens grafted high up on a standard stem?
If an idiot like me were to have a shot at training one, do I do it by just
excising any branching growth below the desired height?
What would be a sensible minimum height for the stem? I suppose it should
be just a little more than the anticipated annual growth.

Franz