Old 10-09-2003, 02:42 PM
zebrin

Default Can a maple survive with half day sun ?

That's plenty of sun. What state are you in? I have one that
receives very little direct sunlight. It's kind of under a tree
canopy of other full grown distant trees. (planning for the future)
....So mine has grown slowly. I believe this tree has a very shallow
root system. I lost another one I had to a strong wind which was
already about 15 feet. Maybe these trees topple easily during storms
due to the nature of the root system. ? So you might want to plant
accordingly to which way most of the storms blow in your area. (would
it blow away from your home or towards it?) I don't think they are
very draught tolerant when they are young (depending on where you
live). But they are a beautiful tree. Whether or not this is the
most suitable shade tree for a smaller lot well that might be a good
topic for discussion. You could plant the maple on another spot just
for eye appeal and get something else instead for shade. I once saw a
website that showed the silhouettes of tree shapes in black and their
various appropriate use. For example; umbrella shaped etc. and it
discussed various tree uses. Maybe you could find a website like
that.

Respectfully,

Zebrin

"D Kat" wrote in message ...
Sounds as if you have more than enough sun for it IMO. DK

"JW" wrote in message
m...
I have a 10 feet Red sunset maple in a pot that I would like to plant
at the south west side of my house to be used as a shade tree, you
know to shade the house from the afternoon sun. My question is if I
plant the tree in the intended location, the tree only gets the sun
from noon to sunset, can it survive on this kind of condition ?

Appreciate if any expert in this group can share their experience.