Old 10-09-2003, 06:12 PM
John T. Jarrett

Default tree stump removal

If it is a nastier species (ones I've had problems with included Wax
Leafs and Cigar Trees) not even used motor oil in drilled holes will
kill them from my experience.

What DID work was building a small charcoal fire on top of them. You
can let it burn out at night and start again the next morning. After a
day or two, the stump gets dry enough it starts making coals and
burning further down by itself -- you just have to sweep the ashes off
every couple hours. I got down about 6" into the ground on a 20" stump
and nothing sprouted up.

Used the same method on some 6" stumps but you use so few coals you
have to keep an eye on it more or they burn off or fall off or...

I did it 6" from a brick wall and right up next to a wood fence. The
heat doesn't go far horizontally and if you don't use a ton of lighter
fluid, the flame doesn't have to get very high at the beginning
either.

This worked when no poisons did. And is technically better for the
soil.

John

Whatever disclaimers -- you should be careful and if you burn down
your house or your fence, don't blame me! :) Good Luck.

If it is big enough (say 10" plus)
"DScott" wrote in message
They vary in size from 2" diameter to about 4' diameter. jfrost sent

me a
link to the dirtdoctor.com. The site recommends either drilling &

filling
holes in the stumps with sweets (sugar, molaasses, jams, buttermilk,

etc) &
covering with a wet mulch, or using a stump grinder. I'll probably

take a
mixed approach, dependent on the size of the stump. If you've got

another
idea, I'd still like to hear it.
Dianne in Austin