Old 10-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Tim Foecke

Default Stake or no stake tomato

In article , DigitalVinyl
wrote:

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

DigitalVinyl said:

I had both and I really prefer the cage to a stake. tying them
appropriately requires more than a stake..a stake with nails studding
its length would work better. I and my neighbor both found the wieght
of tomatoes to eventually slide down collapsing some on the ground and
other plants

I've never had this happen. I use plastic-coated metal stakes (which have
a slightly knobby texture) and stretchy plastic ties (which can be placed
snug,
but still have enough give to allow the stems to grow).

Sounds like the same stakes I used (purchased at home depot). The main
stem grew very thick and pretty much supported itself for the first
few feet. It was the top and secondary vines that kept sliding. Maybe
with a different tie. Once they do slide I don't like to touch them
because I can seem the sharp bends in them and don't want to do
further damage.

I drive a small fence-post type stake deep, then use plastic cable ties
(zip ties) to attach a post like they describe. That way I wound up
with an over 7 foot tall stake with no chance of falling over. I then
zip tie a loop around the plant stem, then attach it to the post with a
tie. Works great. I have a couple of Romas with at least 30 lbs of
fruit per vine, 3 plants per stake. Solid as a rock. I have 8 raised
beds, eash about the size of a double bed, and the 4 with tomatos each
have 8 plants. Staking cuts the yield, but the VARIETY kicks butt.
And all the posts will last for years of use.