Old 10-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Chagoi

Default cleaning canister filter

Barry wrote:

I have a tetra canister filter. Seems like it's been about a year since I
cleaned it.
Last time I disconnected it and simply cleaned it out. I'm wondering if I
can some how reverse the
water flow to clean it out? I assume it has good bateria at the bottom, but
I'm sure there's lots of
gunk down there as well.

Do you ave one of the PF series 1 - 2 or 3?

All I do to mine is remove the 2 filter pads for on top of the bio-media
and
rinse them in a bucket of pond water. I also disconnect the outlet to
the pond,
and connect another hose to it . I then pick up the canister and rock it
back and forth
to stir up the gunk on the bottom of the filter. I do this several times
until the water
flows clear again. The last time I cleaned the filter, I got more than
the usual amount
of sediment out, mostly the "KOI CLAY" I used to clarify the pond water
after
my newly potted cattails fell over and dumped regular clay into the pond.
I have not had to disturb or backwash the bio-media at all, If I keep
the filter pads
clean.

I added smaller bio-media to the large green media tetra gives you. At
least 20 of the
smaller media fits inside the larger media. This gives a greater amount
of surface area
for the bugs to grow on. And I still don't need to back wash the bio-media.

Chagoi