Old 10-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Sacha

Default advice on a small tree or shrub

in article , Franz Heymann at
wrote on 10/9/03 8:17 pm:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snipIt seems to me that
the less interference, the more attractive the final appearance.
Just buy a normal Wisteria and bung it in. ;-) In any case, grafted
Wisteria flower younger than un-grafted ones.

I will have a shot during this planting season.
I intend to stake it firmly until the stem is capable of standing up on its
own. My guess is that four or five years should be enough.

I think it will become academic, in fact. The stake will be almost
invisible after a time and there will be no need to remove it. In fact, my
instinct would be not to do so. This is not a plant designed to support its
own weight and spread on a single stem. The mature ones I've seen must have
been easily 5 or 6 feet around, probably more.

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)