Old 11-09-2003, 12:44 AM
Nic O'Demus

Default Wasp nest between watercourse and public right of way. What to do?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Nic O'Demus" contains these words:

This evening I found the wasp nest. About 5M to the E is a watercourse

and
about 5M to the W is a public right of way. The wasp nest is on my land

and
I would like to be rid of the wasps and their nest.

I don't think you would be liable if the public got stung, but if you
really believe a ground nest is a hazard to your own family, you could
direct a watering can or two of boiling water down the entrance hole at
night when the wasps are all inside. The pulp nest collapses, and larvae
and adults die as quickly as possible.

Janet

Thanks Janet,
I probably would not be liable but I really don't want to find out for sure.
I will take no further steps against the nest, it will run its own course
quite soon. The walking/rambling community have caused far more bother than
the wasps this year. As previously written, I have informed the local
council. I will put up signs telling of the risks involved in walking the
path. If nothing else, it may help to reduce the amount of garbage I have to
clear.
Regards
Nic.