Old 11-09-2003, 12:46 AM
Mary Alice Kropp

Default yanking out greenery in prep for winter

anyway my question (btw I am in zone 5 NE Ohio).

the fish seem to hover under the lily leaves now,, what do you guys do, if
anything for the winter when it is BARE?? do the poor little darlins' just
have to live with open sky???

I just pull out *most* of the anacharis and hornwort, (and I usually end up
doing it when it is way too cold in that water! )- some gets tossed and
some I put into the plastic boxes in the basement that holds the tropicals
over the winter. The rest just stays in the pond over the winter and in
spring, I pull out the dead stems. A lot of it does manage to survive and
grow again quite nicely. I haven't bought any new to add to the pond in a
few years now. And this year was a banner year for the hornwort- I've had to
thin it out two or three times, so the fish would have room to swim!

Oh, I'm in S. NH, zone 5b.

-Mak
http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/mak
Updates 8/31/03

CT State Chili Cook- off, Sept. 20, 2003
East Shore Park, New Haven, CT
Come say Hello to the ChiliCats!