Old 11-09-2003, 12:46 AM
RichToyBox

Default More Pond Questions

pixi,

There is a connection called a union. It has a threaded collar that allows
the two sections to be separated. Put it in anywhere close to the pump. I
have mine inside the skimmer box, that way if I don't get it thoroughly
tight the leak is back into the skimmer instead of out in the yard. The
backflow preventer is a little flapper valve inside a section of pipe that
is larger than the rest of the pipe. Most of the ones I have seen for ponds
have to be bought at a good pond store or online. Check page 421 of Aquatic
Eco, or go online to http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1/search2.asp and
search on check valves. My BIL used a sewage backflow preventer from the
hardware store.
--
RichToyBox

"pixi" wrote in message
I feel like a sub-moron in this pond building business. I cannot find
anything as to precisely how to connect the pump to the piping or hose.

One end screws into the pump and has an adapter which turns into about of

2"
inch flexible (?) pipe about a foot long. Believe this is called the pump
discharge. I know I will need to attach a 90 degree elbow to the pump
discharge too get the water out of the side of the skimmer.but how so that
it can be easily detached.

But then something is said about a check valve. And also removing the

pump
in winter. So how can I attach the hose/pipe to the pump or pump

discharge
so that it is easily detachable.

I had no trouble at all building my first pond but I didn't have all these
gadgets like filters and skimmers. The filter was a little external

thing,
had never heard of a skimmer, and the pump simply sat on the bottom of the
pond with clear hose attached that connected pump to filter. Piece of

cake.