Old 11-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Michael Berridge

Default Articles on my site

Sacha wrote in message ...

Then may I politely suggest to you that this is a genuinely friendly

and
informative group, as I've found to my own benefit. But posting in

reply to
others suggesting there is some form of elitism here and that people

who use
Latin names are somehow showing off, isn't going to help your start on

the
group.
Please think of this - using Latin names for plants makes it easier for

all
of us to help each other because it's a universal language. Whatever a
plant is called in Northumbria, it might not be called here in Devon.

For
example, the weed (for which I do not know the Latin name) which I know

as
goosegrass, is known to others as cleavers and/or stickie willie!

Using
Latin names isn't some form of snobbery or exclusion process, it's more
helpful in the long term. That said, you don't have to know them to

post
here but you might find that you'll start to learn them and that by

doing
so, you'll expand what you came here for - gardening knowledge.
Relax. Most of us really do like to help where we can.
--

We also have to realise that. being the internet, we are read by people
from all over the world, and they may have the same common names for