Old 11-09-2003, 07:03 AM
Repeating Decimal

Default OT - Ant Killing Story

in article , Culturalenigma at
wrote on 9/10/03 7:20 PM:

I'm mostly a lurker here but I thought I'd post a funny (and dangerous)
story as an example of how NOT to kill fire ants.

snip

Firstly, gasoline without additives is about as organic as you can get. Ask
any chemists.

Secondly, even if you went *inorganic* how can you get rid of fire ants?

When I was a kid, I remember seeing a product that was in the form of a
powder. I think it was calcium cyanide, but it really was a long time ago.
It came in a can with a nozzle to insert the powder down the nest enterance.
Then, either from ground moisture, or added water, the powder would produce
hydrogen cyanide.

Aside from possible environmental problems, would such treatment be
effective against ants?

Bill