Old 11-09-2003, 07:23 AM
paghat

Default Help with Compost Tea

In article ,
(Fleemo) wrote:

Well, it's obvious that these are two superior minds who are
permanently ensonced on their respective sides of the fence.

At this point, the main question in my mind is whether or not compost
tea serves as a good nutrient boost for my garden.

If you only use it as a subsitute for non-organic liquid fertilizer, then
you're doing no harm. It's not as good as topcoating with an organic
compost, but it's a damned sight better than non-organic compounds.

It is when it gets into the areas of being BETTER than other organic
methods, or of preventing pathogenic problems in the garden, that the
science informs you the opposite is true.

I wasn't aware of
any cure-all claims for the potion, nor was I aware that it was even
available commercially. I just want to know if I'm wasting my time in
preparing a batch of the brown liquid if my primary goal is to feed my
plants.

If it doesn't smell bad, it's harmless. Even if it stinks it probably
won't do THAT much harm, but the odor is from bacterial wastes & even the
outside-chance of adding beneficial microbes to the soil is shot to hell.

-paghat the ratgirl

Thanks for your well-informed posts.

-Fleemo

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"