Old 11-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Franz Heymann

Default advice on a small tree or shrub

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Franz Heymann at
wrote on 10/9/03 8:17 pm:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snipIt seems to me that
the less interference, the more attractive the final appearance.
Just buy a normal Wisteria and bung it in. ;-) In any case, grafted
Wisteria flower younger than un-grafted ones.

I will have a shot during this planting season.
I intend to stake it firmly until the stem is capable of standing up on

its
own. My guess is that four or five years should be enough.

I think it will become academic, in fact. The stake will be almost
invisible after a time and there will be no need to remove it. In fact,

my
instinct would be not to do so. This is not a plant designed to support

its
own weight and spread on a single stem. The mature ones I've seen must

have
been easily 5 or 6 feet around, probably more.

Sacha, I had an ancient Wisteria against the wall of a previous house. Its
main stem was thicker than my arm. I am sure it would have been able to
support the plant. But perhaps it takes too long for the stem to reach that
size, so yes, the stake might as well stay in place. The trouble with any
staking of any kind in my present garden is that it it twice as stony as you
might think it is.
Franz