Old 11-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Frogleg

Default Willow problem

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:21:22 GMT, Pam wrote:

Pete Nelson wrote:

What should I replace it with? I'd like to have a tree that will provide decent shade and
not grow too large. We have a small suburban backyard and the tree would be planted in a
sprinklered lawn. We live in northen California, about 40 miles ENE of San Fran. Very
little rain between May-Sept with temps in the mid 70s-80s, couple inches of rain/month
between Nov-April with temps in the mid 50s-60s.

snip

One thing about smaller trees - they tend to grow more slowly than those that put on
considerable height. It may take some time for an affordable small tree to develop significant
size and provide adequate shade. You can always locate and purchase larger, specimen-sized
trees, but be prepared to pay a premium for them - you are paying for the time and trouble the
grower invested to get the tree to that size.

And yet time passes so quickly. My neighbor bought a slender twig of a
pecan tree perhaps 5' tall just a few (well, 5-6) years ago. It's now
20' tall and casting a good amount of dappled shade. As you say, in
the (nursery) plant world, time IS money.