Old 07-02-2003, 10:59 PM
Don

Default Hole in Ice - Canada

Hi Jagath,
I am about 1 hour drive east of you, near Simcoe. As a matter of fact I
was in your fair city today attending the woodshow at the fair grounds.
Years ago I would stand straw upright in the pond and that would let the
gases escape and the ice would become very thick but the fish did OK. Every
few weeks I would hook up the garden hose and "drill" through the ice to see
if everything was alright.
This newer pond is for Gold Fish and is shallow, I don't dare let it freeze
like the old one.
I have never measured this pond but it would be about 12 feet long and a
few feet deep. It has a couple of dozen GF. Today the ice has formed over
about half of the pond but is thin enough that the fish can still be seen.
The heater is not plugged in, I double checked.
Don

"Jagath Samarabandu" wrote in message
Don wrote:
The pond was clear of all ice last weekend after warming weather. We

have
had winter storms the last few days and there is a thin layer of ice on

part
of the pond now. It has never frozen over completely. The fish seem

happy.
Don
Greens Corners, Ontario

Picks up the jaw off the floor..

Whaaat.. What green corner of Ontario are you from and how big is your
pond? I'm in London, ON and there is about 8-10" of ice (with about a
foot of snow on top). The warmer wheather didn't even make a dent on the
snow that was on top of ice. Granted, I didn't have the water
circulating. I didn't think moving water would make that big a
difference. Are you sure you don't have the heater on?

There is one gf in the 1200 gal pond. I'm hoping he would survive until
April. Four of them did survive a completely covered 120Gal pond last
winter, but didn't escape the heron.

Jagath
--
Jagath at canada dot com is where I can be reached