Old 11-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Bonnie

Default Fish quantities - Tank vs Pond

juliepacker wrote:
Can any of you lovely people tell me why you can have a larger ratio of
fish to water in an aquarium than in a pond. I believe the rule for
goldfish in a pond is 1 fish per 20gals? Yet you can keep more in a
tank? I have a very small pond (60 gal) and four gold fish and two
shubunkins (all very happy and healthy) but I guess thats my limit?

Regards, Julie. Isle of Wight
--
juliepacker

Hi Julie,
My answer would be that filtration is much higher in an
aquarium. That plus the fact that an aquarium is contained,
a pond is open to more dirt, leaves, and other visitors
which all contribute to the waste which occurs. Fish also
grow larger in a pond than in an aquarium.

--
Bonnie
NJ