Old 11-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Larry Blanchard

Default OT - Ant Killing Story

In article ,
says...
When I was a kid, I remember seeing a product that was in the form of a
powder. I think it was calcium cyanide, but it really was a long time ago.
It came in a can with a nozzle to insert the powder down the nest enterance.
Then, either from ground moisture, or added water, the powder would produce
hydrogen cyanide.

There used to be a product called cyanamid (sp?) that was used to kill a
lawn for replanting. It was a powder you applied and then watered in.
IIRC, it generated some form of cyanide that killed all vegetation
including dormant seeds. In about 3 days it decomposed to a fertilizer
and you then reseeded.

I only used it once, but it worked like a charm. I replaced a
grass lawn with dichondra and never saw a blade of grass trying to come
back. The stuff is undoubtedly banned now.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?