Old 11-09-2003, 06:02 PM

Default Fish quantities - Tank vs Pond

not really. the recommendation is 10 gallons per fish unless they are very big
bodied, then 15-20.
actually, it is based on how fast the nitrates run up over 20 ppm. typically people
change water once per week to lower nitrates. get more fish in that 20 gallon and
water changes increase per week to keep nitrates down. It is also based on how big
the typical GF is going to get in the tank. Small fish in big tank grows fast with
more water, in small tank doesnt thrive and grow. Ingrid

In aquariums the gallons per fish is based on inch of fish per gallon
opposed to the pond which is number of fish per gallon.

Understand something though, most information you hear on pond life and
aquarium life is not scientific and is not proven - it is just myths passed
on from one person to another. This fish per gallon rule is not proven,
there's nothing scientific about it.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com