Old 11-09-2003, 06:12 PM
TheGardener

Default tree recommendations wanted

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , TheGardener
writes

I would suggest an Acer pseudoplatanus "Brilliantissimum". Its new

leaves
in spring are a wonderful pink colour, then they fade to soft yellow,

then
finally to pale green. It is a beautifully shaped tree, and is fairly

slow
growing, so won't outlive its space too quickly.
--
Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Will it be okay so near the house? Isn't it a messy tree?

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

I'm not sure what you mean by messy, Janet. If you mean the shape, then no,
it's a really beautiful shape. If you mean the falling leaves in autumn,
then it's no more messy than any other deciduous tree. As for it being so
close to the house, I can't see it causing any more problems than your
cherry tree which is there at the moment. The only problem I can see might
be that it is quite a slow grower. But even a small Brilliantissimum is
stunning. Of course, you don't get the beautiful flowers of a cherry tree,
(although it does flower), but the joy of this tree is in the changing
colours of the foliage throughout the year. It gets my vote every time!
There's a picture of the spring growth of my tree he
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/acerbrill.html