Old 11-09-2003, 09:40 PM
Rod

Default Betula pendula ......

"ned" wrote in message
I have a Kilmarnock willow (Salix caprea pendula) which when in leaf
is a dense beehive shape. Out of leaf it has a very contorted central
branch system which puts on top growth every year. I mention all this
just to make the point that this other tree I have, is not a
Kilmarnock willow!

Its trunk is what I would call, typical silver birch, with whitish,
thin paper like bark which splits and peels in horizontal bands.
It is at least 15 years old.
It is five feet high, with a large flat top like a table.
In profile it can only be described as a 'capital T' with thin
trailing branches which hang down to the ground.
It has small serrated deltoid leaves. It carries small catkins in
spring.
It shows no sign of having a grafted top.
Does this describe a particular Betula pendula variety?
.... And if so, ........ which?

--
ned

Young's Weeping Birch? B. pendula 'Youngii' iirc.

Rod