Old 11-09-2003, 11:18 PM
Simon Avery

Default Redwoods, Sequoiadendron Giganteum, Wellingtonia, Sequoia

(Ron) wrote:

Hello Ron

R Does anyone know of any Redwoood trees in Essex (England)?

Ah, not in Essex, not my stomping ground. Got at least one in the
Parke Estate in Devon (a giant redwood) - about the only tree you can
punch and walk away without broken knuckles.

Seen some interesting photos of some of the monsters being felled,
quite an operation. (Axes and a *lot* of time)

Not the tallest tree in the world, though, as sometimes mis-reported.
That honour goes to the Douglas Fir. In the 19th century, a 280-300
foot flagpole of douglas was towed back across the atlantic for use in
Britain.[1] Note that 300' was only the *usable* length, and for a
flag to be seen at that height it'd have to be large so would need a
good thickness at the top.

I did once work at a groundsman dismantling the tallest tree in Devon
at the time about 8 years ago on an estate just to the east of
cornwall whose name escapes me. That was a Douglas too, around 140'
iirc.

--
[1] From memory[2], so open to correction.
[2] No, I wasn't there.

Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK Ý
http://www.digdilem.org/