Old 12-09-2003, 03:42 AM
Frank Martin

Default when best to water plants?

Ignore the ratings of the resident troll. I have used a bag and drip feed
to maintain plants while I'm away on holidays. These are the devices used
in hospitals to feed patients intravenously, and they (the devices) work
just as well for water, and the rate of drip can be adjusted. Of course a
wine-cask bag can be used for greater capacity. While I'm in the mood, let
me advise on how to feed your cat while you're away. Simply buy a large
carton of dried cat food pellets and cut away a 1-inch square opening at the
bottom. Then glue the carton base to the ground with the cut-away opening at
the bottom. Your cat will use its paw to extract all the food it wants, and
birds attracted to the pellets give pussy some dietary variety. I must rush
now before the ogre-troll comes and bites my head clean off.

"Archimedes Plutonium" wrote in message
I collect and save rainwater for watering plants. Now the question arose
as to when to apply the rainwater. Is it best to apply the rainwater
shortly after the rain itself so as to give each tree a double dose of
water or is it better to wait for a dry spell and to water the trees
with that water.

Question: better to apply all the water at once from a rain or better to
apply smaller amounts in dryer times.

The thing I am concerned about is in a drought period, is it good to
apply water in a small region of a plant where some of the roots get
water but other parts of the tree remain sort of dry. Seems like it is
feeding some roots but other roots still in drought mode.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies