Old 12-09-2003, 08:49 AM
Franz Heymann

Default sequel to blaster worm

"martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:33:59 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"

In article , Franz Heymann

notfranz.
writes

In view of the fact that there is a virus doing the rounds, (it tries

attack me on average 1.5 times daily) which purports to come from

Microsoft
and which includes an attachment which is said to cure something or

other,
I will not avail myself of this advice, however good it might be,

until I
hear from others who are brave enough to follow it.

There's a difference between downloading an official patch from
Microsoft, and executing an email attachment merely claiming to be a
patch (and in being in reality malware).

The vulnerability and patch don't apply to Windows 98 and some other

old
versions of Windows.

Ah, well, I am running Windows 98 and have no intention of upgrading.
Do you really mean that later versions have newly introduced

vulnerabilities
which did not exist on the older versions?

Yes.

Win 98 is not supported from 1-1-2004.

I have never needed any support from Microsoft since I bought my Windows 98.
When your doomsday arrives, if I still have enough marbles left to do it, I
will migrate from Windows to Linux.

Are there no Americans around who might care to prosecute Microsoft for
ceasing to support software for the use of which they were paid?

Franz