Old 12-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Home winemaking and campden tablets

The message
from (Andy Spragg) contains these words:

First the query. I too do winemaking and have almost never found a use
for Campden tablets. But I don't use recipes. The only time I use them
is if I am making a 5-gallon batch and it is taking several days to
get it together. Then I will add a couple if I am using very ripe
fruit. But it's a double-edged sword - I've more than once had a batch
that I just could not get going, even having waited several days
(presumably because the sulphur dioxide was complexed with the fruit
pulp?). In fact, I am in that situation right now, and would welcome
an opportunity to discuss the matter. But not here. I digress ...

I'll digress even more then. Molish a starter bockle using (say) a
teaspoon of sugar, a cup of water, a pinch of yeast nutrient, and the
yeast you intend using.

Get the bockle jbexvat vigorously, then add to the mix.

Lesson no 1. Campden tablets are naff.

--
Frère Jaques
They knocked the Bell down and erected a charade of pops.