Old 12-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Lidl garden shredder

"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

Do you put out all the shredded stuff immediately as a mulch? If so,
do you water it with a bit of nitrogenous fertiliser to overcome the
nitrogen shortage which this is supposed to cause?

I do this as well as composting it. (usually when my bins are bursting and
I need to let them simmer down for a bit)

So far, I haven't had any problems with it - for example, I have my
strawberries surrounded by a thick layer, and they seem to love it. I've
also applied it around fruit trees to suppress weeds, and around my 'bean
and pea' arch.

Having said that, I've not had my shredder all that long, so such issues
might be cumulative. Plus, I have rabbits, and when I remember I mix my
shreddings with bunny-droppings, which should give the whole thing a bit of
a boost.

I also make a mixed mulch with grass clippings. My soil is on the shallow
and stony side, so I reckon all the organic stuff I can get onto it the
better.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill