Old 12-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Simon Avery

Default green green pond of home

"Tumbleweed" wrote:

Hello Tumbleweed

Oxygenators, covering plants (lilies, even duckweed) and
time. Algae blooms because of sunlight, lack of oxygen and
excess nutrients. I've got a large system of connected
ponds here of about 8,000 gallons with 8 adult goldfish
and about a hundred 1st year goldfish. Water is crystal
(now, it wasn't earlier this year) and I don't have
any additional filtering systems. Just plenty of
oxygenators, several waterfalls (same function, just
noisier) and coverage.

T Duckweed doesnt exactly help you see the fish if you have
T enough of it to get rid of algae!!

True enough, but down to personal taste and neccessity. As far as I
know it's near impossible to clear a pond of duckweed entirely,
whereas removing algae is much simpler.

TBH though, I quite like a *bit* of duckweed. I have enough moving
water that some areas stay clear, and occasional clearing does for the
rest.