Old 12-09-2003, 05:22 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default Gulf of Mexico and health?

Roy, we need more people like you who actually care about wetlands being
drained. =

http://www.urban-nature.org/publications/sprawl.htm. Wetlands are
nature's kidneys and home to the seafood industry at large. That is a
fairly large economic impact for Ala, Ms and FLA.

You mentioned asphalt. The asphalt that is upland from a large
watershed, beit, Gulf of Mexico. Mississippi River, Atlantic, Pacific,
Great Lakes, is a way for motor oil to be washed in to it when rainsfall
occurs on that asphalt. Or the guy who dumped his anti-freeze, motor
oil, cement or whatever else in to the sewer system.
Look at http://www.watersmart.cc/. See the storm sewer? Do you
over-fertlize? Use pesticides or herbicides? This is waht the book is
about - whether the title is St. Andrews Bay (you know where that is),
Great Lakes, Atlantic, Pacific, Chesapeake or anywhere else.

I never was a power boater - 18' sloop. 22' yawl and 26' sloop and
sailed upsteam Galveston Bay only.

Personally, I never was crazy about the beach. But what washes up on it
is what is dumped into the watersheds hundres of miles upstream (and
with help from jet skis, boats etc) =

I spent a week in the panhandle of Florida and it is a nice eco-region. =

I'll work on my end over here and maybe you and others can work on your
end over there.

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com
(an environmental resource with over 186 links)

Roy wrote:
=

Its ironic that the ones hollering about the Gulf getting messed up
are the same ones with beachfront condo's with 90000000 sq yards of
asphalt parking lots surounding the places, and also those beach front
hotels that have asphalt and concrete all over the place because the
average tourist don't like walking in the sand and getting sand spurs
between their toes. The same ones that have all those jet skis and
other power boats for rental making a oil slick on the surface
wherever their at, the same ones that pay off congress and other
politicians to turn a blind eye while they drain wetlands and marshy
areas in the gulf region so they can add an addition to their 3,000
room hotel unit. Anymore if you visit the gulf if you don;t stay in a
hotel on the beach you can not even get anywhere near the beach as its
all private property, except for a very fewe so called public areas,
that are so overused and trashed its like being in a landfill. No, if
they want to save the Gulf they need to back these foolks up and clear
the beaches of the buildings and rip up all those parking lots and
condos, and put it back the way it was 20 years ago. The beach can dry
up or blow away for all I care, as I do not own beachfront property
and I refuse to get bunched up like a feedlot full of cows just to dip
my toes in the water, and I'll certainly not spend $165.00 a ight to
sleep in a hotel just to be confined to the htels section of beach
either, so what happens to the gulf has little impact on me. Thats
the way it is in the Florida and Alabama and Mississippi panhandle regi=

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal