Old 12-09-2003, 05:22 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Pepper problem: No heat!

I've read repeatedly that lots of moisture waters down flavor in many
fruits, vegeatables and herbs. Specifically for peppers, it reduces
heat. So the same variety grown in Mexico will be hotter than when
grown in Portland. Back off on watering significantly. Wait longer,
let the ground dry out, not just at the top but stick your finger in
the soil and see if it is drying out at the roots. To compensate for
higher moisture in your region you may want to shop around for the
hotter seeds.

I'm in the northeast where we had near record rains for May and June.
I grew cayenne anaheim and jalapeno for the first time. They were all
nameless varieties. The first cayennes of the season were really mild
(I always scrap the seeds out). The jalapenos (eaten with seeds and
pulp in) were firey hot, too hot for me! Way hotter than the
cayennes. Now my recent cayennes seem hotter. Maybe they benefitted by
growing significantly after the wet spring. My anaheims were totally
heatless. Next year I'm skipping the cayennes and going for 2-3x as
many jalapenos. Although I'd like a milder jalapeno and a spicier
anaheim.

"Mike Cormack" wrote:

I need some advice for next year. I grew Jalapeno, Thai, Cayenne and 1 other
hot pepper from Sarawak. None of them are spicy. They are growing fine,
ranging from 16" to 24" tall with plenty of fruit. I grow them in raised
beds, use alpaca poop fertilizer, consistently water them.

It's too late for this year. I want to investigate and prepare for next
year. I don't know what I did wrong, but my assumption is the soil is
broken. Either missing some nutrient, maybe the Ph is incorrect or something
else? I'd appreciate any advice on how/what to investigate. Any pointers to
good website on how to grow peppers?

thanks,
Mike
Portland, OR