Old 12-09-2003, 06:02 PM

Default new gardener questions

This was my first year attempting a garden of any sort.
Having sent houseplants in three states to their untimely
demise, I was very wary. I read at the library, and asked
folks handing out zuchinni and tomatoes at work what they did.

Having gotten through the summer with more success than I
really expected, I'm wondering about planting for fall, and
about planning for next year. If you have advice/answers/tips,
I'd love to hear them.

Specifically--

1. I think I underestimated sun requirements. I planted two beds, both
semi-shady, one more so. One did ok--lots of growth with some vegetable
production, the other was/is kind of sickly and sad looking. I just
didn't really think 'full sun' could mean Texas sun, and now know better.

The spots were picked mostly because they were areas without grass.
Next spring I want to plant a new bed, in more sun. Should I tack a
tarp down over the spot to kill the grass? Just pile clippings etc. on
it until the grass underneath dies?

2. Should I start lettuce seedlings now, to put in the beds I have
for fall? Just throw some seeds in the ground? When I tried lettuce in
the spring, I got nice seedlings, but when I moved them they croaked.
Or should I just spread the compost I've been cooking all summer and turn
it over, and wait for spring? Can I try zuchinni again?

3. Things that did well were string beans, peppers, and cucumber. The
tomatillos grew like mad--easily hundreds of flowers, but only a dozen
fruit or so. Tomatoes grew ok, but only one or two, zuchinni and squash
got bugs, I think. Herbs, in the very shady bed, were not happy, except
one that the guy at the store called 'Portugese cilantro', I think.
Next spring I'm planning on putting things right back where they did ok,
tomatoes and herbs in the new, sunnier bed.

Any help, info etc appreciated.
Jen