Old 12-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Kenni Judd

Default Cut back Phal to where?

As long as your plant is healthy and happy, this is a matter of personal
preference. As previously mentioned, many phals will send out secondary
branches of flowers from a lower node on a previously-bloomed spike.
However, these generally aren't as nice [smaller flowers, less of them] as
the primary [first per spike] blooming. My own preference is to cut the
spike all the way down, and force the plant to put its energy into growing,
in hopes of bigger, better, more blooms the following season. But there are
many who enjoy the prolonged display provided by the secondary bloomings.

The major caveat is that if the plant should start to look stressed, you
really should cut the spike off, regardless of flowers, so that it won't
expend energy on flowers that it really needs to put into growing.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
My Phal has lost all eight of its blooms after months of displaying them.
Where should I cut the stem back to in order to promote new blooms?